Forums » Suggestions & Feature requests

Improvement to browser detection

Hi,
Clicky is great but I've noticed its browser detection is very general and inaccurate. It seems only good for the most popular browsers. The problems I have encountered:

* Opera 11.50 is reported as Opera 10
* Seamonkey 2.0.x is reported as Mozilla 1.9
* Seamonkey 2.3 is reported as Firefox 6. If "Advertise Firefox Compatibility" is disabled in settings then it is identified as Mozilla 6.0

These are only 3 examples but there are many more browsers out there and it would be great if Clicky could detect them.

Posted Sun Aug 21 2011 11:53p by publ***

Opera's user agent string is a horrible mess so yes, it's not reporting anything above 10 correctly.

For "Mozilla", we report the *engine* version, not the version of the browser. I don't recall why this is but there was a good reason for it when I wrote the code a few years back.

For Seamonkey 2.3, have they changed the engine version to match up with the version of Firefox now? otherwise I'm not sure how 6.0 would sneak in there.

Posted Mon Aug 22 2011 11:48a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Hi,
Yes, Opera's string is weird but the version number is there so with proper algorythm it's possible to extract it:

Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) Presto/2.9.168 Version/11.50
Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) Presto/2.6.30 Version/10.63

As to Mozilla reporting the engine, it certainly is not so in most cases because Firefox is identified as Firefox and not as it's engine version number. That would be fine if Firefox was "Firefox" and Seamonkey was "Mozilla" but in SM from version 2.1 up they include the "Firefox" string for better compatibility with pages that sniff Firefox instead of Gecko.

So the default string is like that:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20110813 Firefox/6.0 SeaMonkey/2.3

But it's possible to turn off in preferences "Advertise Firefox compatibility" and then the string is more like in the old days:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20110813 SeaMonkey/2.3

Compare SM 2.0.14:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14

It would be best if in both cases Clicky identified the browser as Seamonkey. It doesn't seem complicated, it's just a matter of sniffing "SeaMonkey/..." at the end of the string, isn't it?

Posted Wed Aug 24 2011 7:52a by publ***

I've added this to our near-term feature list so hopefully we'll have it within a few weeks.

Posted Thu Aug 25 2011 3:35p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

That's good news, thanks!

Posted Sat Aug 27 2011 12:11a by publ***

All fixed.

Posted Tue Sep 27 2011 1:04p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Thanks - works well for Opera now. But I can see some incosistencies regarding Seamonkey. In the stats today I saw 2 different browsers: Mozilla 2.0 and Mozilla 7.0. Mozilla 2.0 seems to be SM 2.0.14 while Mozilla 7.0 is SM 2.5. Previously, SM 2.0.x was identified as Mozilla 1.9. The new version numbering is inconsistent:

- SM 2.0.x is based on gecko engine 1.9.x, so the previous naming (Mozilla 1.9) indicated the engine version number. If now SM 2.0.x is identified as Mozilla 2.0 it means that 2.0 is the application version number.

- SM 2.5 is based on gecko engine 7.0, so Mozilla 7.0 refers to the engine version number.

So for SM 2.0 Clicky registers application version while for SM 2.4, 2.5, etc. Clicky registers engine version. Why is that? If Clicky registers application number (and not Webkit engine number) for Chrome then why Mozilla 7.0?

Posted Sat Oct 1 2011 9:07a by publ***

As the tempareture inceasing hot day after day, and the step of summer vocation is just around the corner, what plan do you made for your vivid summer?Swimming in the sea and hang about in the sand beach is a common plan year by year and one by one. Maybe you can travel around the ice island or going to an icy palace to enjoy with all your heart with different scenery. Or you can stay at home to participate in Diablo III. It is very popular at the moment and Diablo series is a legend. What do you think about? [b][url=http://www.diablo3buygold.com]Buy Diablo 3 Gold[/url][/b]

Posted Fri Jun 15 2012 3:02a by ***

As the tempareture inceasing hot day after day, and the step of summer vocation is just around the corner, what plan do you made for your vivid summer?Swimming in the sea and hang about in the sand beach is a common plan year by year and one by one. Maybe you can travel around the ice island or going to an icy palace to enjoy with all your heart with different scenery. Or you can stay at home to participate in Diablo III. It is very popular at the moment and Diablo series is a legend. What do you think about? [b][url=http://www.diablo3buygold.com]Buy Diablo 3 Gold[/url][/b]

Posted Fri Jun 15 2012 3:06a by ***

Posted Fri Jun 15 2012 3:34a by ***

Posted Fri Jun 15 2012 3:46a by ***

Posted Fri Jun 15 2012 3:56a by ***

I noticed that it is not correctly detecting IE8/IE9 if the user is using Compatibility Mode. It is reporting it as IE7. There is a sample script at http://www.pinlady.net/PluginDetect/IE/ which shows how to correctly identify the real browser as IE8 or IE9.

Posted Mon Jan 7 2013 10:10a by lrchil***

You must be logged in to your account to post!