Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Repeat visits same IP 10s Bounce

Seeing a ton of 10s visits in the last two days which has double my bounce rate to 80+%. This is bad. Today, on one page along I am seeing the same IP with 9 10s views, isn't there some sort of filtering for things like this. Is Google going to see the same IP a bunch of times bouncing and not give it as much weight?

Posted Thu Oct 13 2011 1:57p by JamesInDig***

Things are even worse today, bounce rate up to 89% this morning, average visit time 13 seconds. I've had this site for several years, operating as a personal niche blog for over a 1 1/2 years. Bounce rate through clicky stats between 40-50% that whole time, average visit time around 3 1/2 minutes. The last two days it's been terrible. It's business as usual for me, so not sure where this is coming from. Any insight? http://www.jamesindigital.com for reference.

Posted Fri Oct 14 2011 7:57a by JamesInDig***

We have disabled our "pinging" functionality for non-paying users as we wrestle to get resource usage under control. I'm not sure if this will be permanent or not, but the pinging is what makes our time on site / bounce rate so much better than most of our competitors. Unfortunately it also consumes a lot of extra bandwidth, so I'm just not sure if it will come back to the free plan or not.

Posted Fri Oct 14 2011 11:49a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

I've had the same problem! Over the last 3 to 4 days my bounce rate has gone from 30/35% to 70/80%. Also seeing a ton of 10s visists which I have never had before.

Posted Sat Oct 15 2011 12:07a by meta***

Oh, thank GOD!!! In the 2 years I've been using Clicky I have NEVER had a bounce rate this high - even when I don't post for a week or so! I usually hover between 35-50%, but now I'm seeing nothing but 75-90%. And I KNOW my readers spend way more time on my site than 10s at a time! I'm a little too broke to afford the paid version of Clicky right now, so if there's ANY way to get things back to normal on the unpaid version, I'm sure many of us would appreciate it!

Posted Mon Oct 17 2011 11:39a by PoorGirlEat***

I am on the paid version and I am seeing the same thing. 10s 10s 10s over and over again, there seems to be no happy middle either 10s or > 1 minute.

Posted Wed Oct 19 2011 8:44p by webmax***

The first ping occurs at 1 minute so for single pageview visitors, it will always be 10s or 1m+.

We'd like the first ping to start earlier - it used to be thirty seconds - but until we get new load balancers we have to keep it a bit higher to ease the load.

Posted Wed Oct 19 2011 10:46p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Oops, submitted too soon.

Pings account for over 50% of the total traffic incoming to our servers. When it was 30 second ping, it was over 70%. So reducing that helped significantly.

Although it's not perfect, the fact that we ping at all makes us better than almost every other service out there.

Posted Wed Oct 19 2011 10:47p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Hi Team

I don't know whether this would make sense - How about disabling pinging for free visitors say after the Max Daily Page Views, or after the visits have reached half of it?

Thanks.
Vyankatesh

Posted Sun Oct 23 2011 1:10a by vyankat***

If I upgrade to a paid account the "10s problem" will disappear?

Posted Mon Nov 21 2011 6:38p by dineroconm***

Yes.

Posted Mon Nov 21 2011 8:02p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Hi there,

I'm having the same problem as on this thread. Had Clicky for two weeks and all fantastic. Past two days my bounce rate has shot up to 90% and getting a whole lot of 10sec visits. Average time per visit gone from 3.5mins to 15secs.

Am I going to have to pay for a more accurate service? If so, what else do I get for being a paying customer? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

Posted Wed Jul 23 2014 2:28p by robdan***

You must be logged in to your account to post!