Forums » General discussion

How will GC repond to Google SSL?

Well the news has spread across all the webmaster boards, google is encrypting search results with SSL for anyone who uses google via signing in.

This will be a pretty large percentage of users, given that google has control over so many different sites that require you to be logged onto your google account.

Even as a webmaster who likes to search google without being logged in, I have to actively log out because I've had to log onto youtube to verify my age or post a comment.

Now the ordinary user who uses googles services like gmail, docs, youtube will not be as proactive as webmasters in logging out to see depersonalised SERPS.

This ovbiously is a blow to services like GC as it could force web masters to turn to GA to see full data.

Lately tineye.com took a bit of a hammering because google lauched it's own reverse image lookup service. Which may affect tineye a lot.

Are there any plans to get access to referring kw data from google or a workaround?

Also how much of the referring google search traffic is predicted to be unavailable to getclicky due to encyption?

Posted Wed Oct 19 2011 1:04p by totalwi***

Google said GA will have the same issue as we and other trackers will, and that they will report a blank search term. There is no workaround, Google is intentionally masking it. Sucks but nothing we can do about it.

Posted Wed Oct 19 2011 1:10p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

thanks for the speedy response, do you have any idea on roughly what percentage of google referrals will be affected?

sub 20% will be tolerable I guess, users can just guestimate based on the data they do have, but if it's a significant percntage something like 50%+, it would not be suitable to track based on available data,

Posted Wed Oct 19 2011 1:42p by totalwi***

Well they said it will apply to all logged in users within the next few weeks. I imagine that's somewhere around 20-30% of people who use Google daily, but that's just a guess.

Posted Wed Oct 19 2011 10:44p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Does this just mean the unique visitor will still be recorded, just that we won't know which search term brought them to our site?

So overall traffic should still be accurate?

Posted Sat Nov 19 2011 5:20p by davyu***

Correct, we'll still be logging their visits, just won't know what their searches were.

Posted Sat Nov 19 2011 5:36p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

You must be logged in to your account to post!