Forums » General discussion

Lots of 10s (ten second) duration visits

I see a large number of hits to my site that have a duration of "10s" or ten seconds. Does this mean somebody that clicked through to my site but then closed their browser right away? Or might it mean something else?

Posted Fri Oct 21 2011 12:21p by deserthig***

Pinging has been disabled for free accounts. Evidently permanently. All single page visits will show 10s. All multiple page visits will record 10s for the final page viewed.

Posted Fri Oct 21 2011 1:27p by joelkeh***

I've also experienced this. I believe it's when someone opens a new window or tab in Safari. When they do this, the browser window visually displays the last several webpages they have visited, including yours, making it easy for the user to select the page they want. Since it displays a realtime thumbnail of the page, it's actually pinging your site. If they select another site, it logs the standard 10 seconds. Click on one of those users and see what type of browser they're using.

Posted Fri Oct 21 2011 2:14p by samdyar***

my bounce rate just got 100% now what the hell? i think it's because of the new FREE account limitations. I guess i'll switch to GA

Posted Sat Oct 22 2011 10:56a by t_vir***

Yes, pinging is disabled for free accounts for now to keep resource usage down. It may come back but I'm not sure right now.

Posted Mon Oct 24 2011 11:03a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

How does GetClicky pinging work?

Posted Mon Oct 24 2011 9:57p by deserthig***

When a visitor is sitting on a page, our tracking code sends pings to our servers to let us know they are still on that page. The default is about 6 pings over 10 minutes, so in other words a single page view could actually be up to 7 unique hits on our servers. As you can imagine that eats up a lot of resources. :)

Posted Mon Oct 24 2011 10:30p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

I really liked what I saw on the free trial. I didn't sign up for the paid service because I was seeing legitimate real visitors sitting in my site in real time using the LiveZilla system, and Clicky never recorded them. I saw in another forum thread that there is some kind of bot-filtering in effect that is causing visitors to be missed.

I would sign up for the paid service in a minute if I could disable the filtering of visitors and also if the pinging was configurable so that I could track how long users are actually keeping their browser windows open on my pages. I have a lot of long embedded videos and had trouble changing the embed codes, so using pinging would be a much better solution for me. A single ping every 5 minutes would be a killer feature for me. It might be an increase on load on your servers, but I'd be totally willing to pay for this service.

Any chance we could make that happen?

Posted Mon Oct 24 2011 10:33p by deserthig***

You can configure pinging so it goes up to 4 hours. Not planning to add an option to disable bot-filtering though.

http://getclicky.com/help/customization#timeout

Posted Tue Oct 25 2011 11:30a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

You must be logged in to your account to post!