Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Tracking visitors on 2 different websites

I have two domains in Clicky with different content. When someone fills out form on one of them, custom visitor data is added in reports in that account.

I want to be able to see what the same person visited on other domain.

How to setup domains and tracking code to accomplish this?

Posted Wed Jan 1 2014 4:55p by azz***

There may be some other clicky users who already do what you are looking to do. If so I defer to their experience. If no one else chimes in then here are some ideas so you aren't left empty handed.

Some thoughts on how to do this (note these are things I would play with but have not done it myself)...

1. Pass the custom code as a parameter on the link that takes the visitor to the second site. Then ingest that custom code in your second site clicky tracking. That would give you a common custom code to identify the same user on separate sites.

I guess you might also use the IP address in this way, as a common identifier you could pull up on both sites to see reports about the same visitor. If that worked then passing the custom code might not be necessary for you to manually correlate the same visitor on two seperate site reports.

For automated correlation, you could extract the two reports into excel and do combined reporting.

2. Define the second site as a mirror in the clicky preferences of the first site. Then use the clicky tracking code from site 1 to track visits using the same site ID.

This would track the two sites as if they were one site in that you could see all the info about a visitor to both sites in one report.

If you wanted to maintain a separate clicky site reporting view of site 2, then use the clicky tracking code for both sites on site 2. (Note that this would be double tracking of site 2 which would go against your package quota of views per day.)

Caveats that would require testing...

Since the link to site 2 is an external link to a "mirror" site, I'm not sure clicky will track the same way it does internal "actions" within each site.

Also not sure clicky will resolve the same IP address hitting two sites as a single visitor session.

If it didn't auto correlate these items, then one way to overcome these limitations would be to pass the custom code to site 2 as suggested above.

Then you would have a way to see both sites' data in a single clicky report query based on the single custom code tagged on both sites for each user.

I'm not sure which of the above two approaches would work best.

Option 2 is probably easiest to test because you don't have to do any extra work. If it doesn't meet the requirement then back it out and try option 1 with manual correlation (or exports to excel) outside of clicky reporting.

Posted Thu Jan 2 2014 5:40a by edyod***

quick update... I was assuming that the visitor filling out the form on site 1 is then directed to site 2, so it would be possible to pass the custom code as a parameter. If these are completely separate sites without a worlflow that passes a user from one site to the other, then I guess you are limited to using the IP address to try and correlate the same visitor making unrelated visits on two sites.

Posted Thu Jan 2 2014 8:11a by edyod***

You must be logged in to your account to post!