Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Numbers are Down Compared to Google Anatylics

I posted a couple of weeks ago about something is wrong with the server. My #s according to Google are 2x that of Clicky. I have been with your organization for years and this has never happened.

This issue has been going on since August, 2013. No one seems to be replying to the forum at all and many people are asking the same questions.

Are you guys okay?

Posted Thu Feb 13 2014 9:51a by greenta***

This forum is for member to member help and discussion. Clicky sometimes will respond but the best surefire way to get a response is to email their support team but be patient as it is only a few guys.

On to your question, I have not seen a drop in any of my 3 sites that I track with both Clicky and GA. There are some slight differences but nothing I wouldn't expect as the tracking algorithms are different (aka why we have both :) ).

Couple things to consider and to check on your website:
- Is the tracking code for Clicky on all the pages you want to track.
- Is any of your custom code preventing Clicky from running on some pages or are visitors leaving before the Clicky code has finished rendering, e.g. a long page load time and visitor click to another page before the Clicky script loads.
- Did you change any of your configurations to omit IPs
- Are your settings correct for domains and mirrors
- etc...

If you're using a 3rd party plugin, you may want to check with the developers of the plugin ;)

Posted Thu Feb 13 2014 2:02p by ringo***

Thanks so much for the feedback. I haven't done anything differently. I am not using a plug-in. I put the code below the footer. I just noticed issues after one of their servers had issues. I have been with them a long time and never had a problem.

Gosh,I thought this forum was for Clicky. I was worried because the only other time I posted, they responded.

Is there anyway to see if your tracking code isn't hitting all of your pages?

Posted Thu Feb 13 2014 2:23p by greenta***

Two things to do in this case:
1. To see that your tracking script is indeed on all pages, in a browser on a rendered page click edit -> View Source (terminology and steps may vary depending on your browser). This will show you the rendered HTML for your page and you will need to find your tracking code (I usually do ctrl+f and type in clicky or there some form of rather than go line by line). You'll have to do this for each page to verify each page, if you have a small website this is viable but otherwise you may want to do some randomized testing or find a way to automate it.

2. To see if your website isn't hindering your tracking code in anyway, I would recommend a HTTP sniffer tool like Fiddler (http://www.telerik.com/fiddler) and you should be able to sniff out the HTTP request that Clicky is sending back to its servers for a visitor (you'll have to do this in a browser you haven't set the Clicky ignore cookie with). There are also other ways to see if it is properly rendering and nothing on-page is interfering like with a browser's inspect tool, I like Chrome's the best. You can watch what your page is grabbing, when it is loading items, if there are any errors, etc...

Step 2 is a little more advanced (You don't need to be a developer to find the error but to solve it, you may) and if you aren't running any custom code or a lot of javascript based 3rd party apps (like Clicky) then it might not be an issue but always good to check.

Posted Fri Feb 14 2014 5:08a by ringo***

gt,

Here are some ideas for shortcuts that might help you determine if your tracking code is showing up on all of the pages...

1. This technique only reports on the pages that are indexed in google. Do the following searches and compare the tallies that are reported:

site:domain.com
site:domain.com clicky
site:domain.com -clicky

This will tell you how many of the indexed pages at domain.com contain the keyword clicky. Therefore if your clicky tracking code is rendering on every page, the count that returns should be equal to the number of pages indexed for that domain. The third query will show you all the pages which are indexed but do NOT include the clicky tracking code on the rendered page.

2. If you find in step 1 that there are pages which should be showing the clicky code but are not, then you might dig into this using ringo64's suggestion of pulling up some of those pages and view source for clues about what is different between the clicky-tracked and non-clicky-tracked pages.

3. If your site is small enough to browse to every page, then browse your entire site while you are logged in to clicky. In this case you should see the little black box with clicky web analytics in the bottom right corner of every page. (This is just a short cut versus pulling up a view source window for each page, and assumes you have not blocked this from displaying in the site settings).

As ringo64 said earlier, if it turns out that all of your pages do have the clicky code on them, then you have to think about why that code is not getting executed, and I don't have anything new to add about that.

cheers,

Ed
@#$

Posted Fri Feb 14 2014 7:39a by edyod***

Could universal anatylics be the problem?

Posted Mon Feb 17 2014 9:22p by greenta***

You must be logged in to your account to post!