Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

No Javascript Code Does Not Seem To Be Working On eBay

Hi,

I have tried to implement the no javascript tracking code.

It is on this eBay page and another 400 listings (anything with the word curtains in the title)...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Curtains-Cath-Kidston-Big-Spot-Cotton-Duck-Pencil-Pleat-Eyelet-Tab-Top-/271427810002?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Curtains_Blinds_Curtains_EH&hash=item3f325bb2d2

I have added the tracking code (img width="1" height="1" src="//in.getclicky.com/100717028ns.gif"...I have had to de HTML it, so it does have tags on it) to the description section of the listing. It thus apears in the iFrame section of the listing webpage.

The problem is that nothing is appearing on the dashboard when I open the page.

I have set the domain to ebay.co.uk.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Update
------
I did manage to get one of my page loads (Chrome) to be recorded on Clicky.

I am getting some traffic being recorded. I have had 10 hits. But bizarrely enough 8 of them have been from iPhones and only 2 from Chrome (my PC).

So in summary it seems to be a little hit and miss and the moment. I was just wondering if potentially some browsers just ignored 1 pixel square images?

I know yesterday that I had 600 page views on my listings from looking at the www.esomniture.com reports. OK about 50% of my listings don't have the tracking code on but still I would imagine that I would be recording more than 8 visitors.

Thanks,

Will

Posted Tue Mar 18 2014 3:36a by willstan***

I have zero experience with adding Clicky to eBay but just a friendly reminder that tracking does not work in the browser that you use Clicky unless you turned off the cookie to ignore you.

Posted Tue Mar 18 2014 5:33a by ringo***

Many thanks for reminding me. I have tried on other browsers & private browsing. Also my colleague (who does not have Clicky access) is accessing these listings and she is not appearing on the stats. My stats only seem to show visitors with iphones or ipads.

Posted Tue Mar 18 2014 8:03a by willstan***

As far as I'm aware they don't allow third party code/images directly embedded, and those that they do, they proxy and cache so that the "hit" never actually gets to our servers... I'm not positive this is still the case but I believe that's how it used to be.

Posted Tue Mar 18 2014 10:48a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Hi,

eBay listings allow you to have third party images in your listing description body. The images in the above listing are served from my CDN. You can have javascript in the description, just not certain javascript functions like REPLACE.

If you look at the mark up on the page you will see that the images are being pulled from the CDN and the Clicky 1 pixel sq image is there.

So in my opinion it should work. Like I said at the moment it seems that it only records iPhone traffic.

Will

Posted Tue Mar 18 2014 1:33p by willstan***

It will be a bit of a blow if I cannot get it working as the eBay analytics are really clunky.

Posted Tue Mar 18 2014 1:34p by willstan***

eBay uses iframes and the domain for the iframe was vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com.

So I have added this to the mirror domain list.

I am now getting more traffic being recorded and will see how this stacks up with the eBay page views.

So issue possibly solved.

Posted Wed Mar 19 2014 6:03a by willstan***

You must be logged in to your account to post!