Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

blocking

hi , such a newbie q, how do i block ip addresses from my site using clicky? as i have found a number of ip address clicking my via my adwords campaigns which is costing me money. google only blocks for 24hr . is there a way i can block them from seeing my site perm using clicky or i cant?

kind regards

Posted Mon Aug 4 2014 7:47a by drfue***

I'm confused by the question here. Google will detect if someone is maliciously clicking your Google AdWords and block them from the ad.

If you want to block this individual from seeing your site, you cannot do this in Clicky BUT you can block the individual's IP so that their stats do not show up in your Click reports. You can accomplish this while on Clicky, in the site you want to add this to -> Preferences -> Visitor tags & filters -> Add new visitor tag & filter. Then insert the IP, give it name and make sure "Do not log visits from this IP / UID." is checked.

Posted Mon Aug 4 2014 8:06a by ringo***

so no clicky cannot block ip address permantly just can choose not to include there vists in the daily stats..

thank u

Posted Mon Aug 4 2014 8:25a by drfue***

Clicky does not control your website. It only tracks visitors on your website.

Depending on what you're using to run your website you can block visitor's IPs and prevent them from totally accessing your website.

Posted Mon Aug 4 2014 11:08a by ringo***

You could block some ip in your site webserver but here's the problem. If google displays an ad (search network) and someone clicks on it, then you are already billed for the click before they ever reach your website.

So if you block them at the webserver you are merely throwing away evidence in data that might otherwise be helpful in getting some money refunded by google for the bogus clicks.

Something else to consider is some isps reuse ip addresses so if the hits are spread over time they might actually be different visitors. Now if you see rapid fire hits with identical other attributes then you might be getting click spammed as you suspect.

Posted Mon Aug 4 2014 5:02p by edyod***

You must be logged in to your account to post!