Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Does Clicky De-duplicate/merge visitors?

I'm looking to replace KISS metrics with Clicky.

One thing that KISS did well was to work with this situation:

1) Visitor clicks ad - is recorded as an IP address - and signs up to newsletter --- email address is now assoicated to that IP/visitor record.

2) A few days go by, the user gets an email - opens on their mobile device - this shows up as a new IP address -- but then makes a purchase - the same email as in 1) above is used --

so the question is will / or how do I get Clicky to merge those accounts because I would like to attribute the sale in 2) above to the ad originally clicked in 1).

If it is possible to do this - then the next question is what is the window of time that it would work?

For example if the person in 1) clicks the ad and joins the newsletter, and purchases - 7 days, or 30 days or 60 days later -- will I still be able to attribute the sale back to the ad in 1)?

A more generic way to ask this question is - how are people using Clicky to look at multi-step sales funnels, where the first step is an email acquisition, and then the sale happens later on - either by an email, or re-targeting ad etc.

KISS was excellent for looking at that kind of info - but it's too expensive, and not real-time enough.

Thanks.

Posted Sun Jan 4 2015 6:35p by jasonkad***

Clicky identifies people by their IP address, so in scenario 1, they wouldn't be tracked.

You can get around this by setting your own cookie, and then identifying that user by that cookie. Then you could use some PHP code to log the proper goal manually.

I use the little PHP "clicky_log()" function they gave you (in their help section) and use it like this:

$a['type'] = 'goal';
$a['goal'] = array( "id"=>CLICKY_GOAL_REVENUE, "revenue"=>"$mc_gross" );
if ( $ip_address ) $a['ip_address'] = $ip_address;
else $a['session_id'] = $session_id;
$a['custom']['username'] = urlencode( $_COOKIE['userid'] );
$a['custom']['name'] = $firstname . ' ' . $lastname;
$a['custom']['cust_id'] = $numeric_user_id;
clicky_log( $a, CLICKY_SITE_ID, CLICKY_SITE_ADMINKEY );

Posted Sun Jan 4 2015 11:34p by gladiu***

Thanks for that snippet -- when you say "identifying that user by that cookie" -- will it work if the user happens to jump between devices over time?

Does Clicky recognize something like ['custom']['username'] as unique? Meaning if I send via clicky_log -- ['custom']['[email protected]'] today -- but then a few days later the user is on a different device, but in the purchase I grab their email - and send again ['custom']['[email protected]'] --

Will I be able to suss out that it's the same person? Or because the IP addresses, or Cookies etc. were different - will I not really be able to look at those actions as being done by the same person?

Another way to ask the question is - can I later create a query like:

How many people who took action A later on took action B -- even if A and B happened on different devices, from different IP's different cookies etc?

Posted Mon Jan 5 2015 1:49p by jasonkad***

You must be logged in to your account to post!