Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

All of my stats history disappeared

All of my clicky history has disappeared, even the email report I received yesterday showed just a fraction of the date from yesterday. Please help.

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 6:51a by randa***

yes, for one of my sites, all my history is gone ...

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 7:07a by davyu***

All my history is missing too!

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 8:22a by arnyba***

Both of our sites history is gone too...

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 8:42a by breeders***

All of the stats for FireAviation.com before January 9 at 3 p.m. MT disappeared.

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 8:46a by wildfiret***

Where is all the stats? All history wiped out for all my sites ....

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 9:48a by dwoodwa***

All stats gone for prior to today for my site as well....

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 11:46a by thetechrevi***

We did have data loss for db8 / 10 / 36 yesterday due to multiple hard drive failures back to back on the server that hosts these 3 databases. All affected customers will receive an email later today with full explanation and options to get a refund for the last year or extend their premium service for free for at least 2 years.

Really sorry guys! This has never happened before.

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 3:08p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

All of my data going all the way back to 2009 is just gone. Almost $700 in payments over the years. I have not received an email about this yet.

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 8:13p by mchll98***

That sucks guys. As an IT guy I really feel for you having this happen. Strange enough it only affected my major site and the other 5 sites I have in there were unaffected. Bad luck on my part.

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 9:08p by billn***

I'm sorry the email hasn't been sent out yet. Before that happens we're working on the page to automate the refund/credit process, since the email will include a link to it. It's mostly done but not quite, and still needs more testing to make sure every option/scenario works. It will definitely be available tomorrow though.

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 9:46p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Why is the data not recoverable? Is the data not backed up??

Posted Sat Jan 10 2015 10p by mapl***

Before I decide whether your response is acceptable I would like to know why the data was not backed up (and thus easily restored) and what your plans are to address this failure in the future.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 12:49a by steve***

Is this a joke?

Please tell me that you have not been running a paid service and you have NO backup of any past data.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 3:43a by BTESupp***

I have this same problem across quite a few of my sites. This data needs to be restored or I will go elsewhere as this is totally unacceptable.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 4:45a by evasion***

Same problem here. This only seemed to affect one of my sites but all of the data is gone.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 6:21a by dellison1***

Hi -. I just downloaded the latest version of clicky and my website disappeared! All the pages have gone--HELP!!
Everything was fine before I updated Clicky.......what is going on !! Please send me information on how I can reclaim my whole website.....??????????????

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 7:26a by robh***

I agree maple,mstever, and BTESupport... I always assumed that data would be backed up in the even something like this were to ever happen.

Only one of my sites, the one with the most data and traffic was affected which I find strange.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 8:49a by mchll98***

Emails are being sent out now to all affected customers (~1000 people). Please check your email for full details.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 5:55p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

The email makes no mention of backups. I can only assume you have no backup which is very surprising and disappointing considering this is a paid service. Can you at least confirm that regular backups of all data going forward will be made so there is no repeat of this incident? Thanks.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 6:19p by mapl***

I need to make a decision about, 1) continuing to use Clicky and risk more catastrophic data meltdowns, or, 2) cut my losses and abandon your service.

So... what, if anything, will you do to prevent this from recurring? And, when will the changes be implemented?

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 6:19p by wildfiret***

Same here only my main money site was affected. How can there be no back-ups?!?!?!?

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 6:21p by mindque***

How the heck does one run a service based on data and not have any backups? What the hell? RAID is not backup...

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 6:26p by ahockl***

Really shouldn't add insult to injury ... irretrievable data loss in bad enough.

You state in the thread above:
"All affected customers will receive an email later today with full explanation and options to get a refund for the last year or extend their premium service for free for at least 2 years."

Unprofessional to change how this will be handled after stating above, I get an email of the following:
"As compensation, we are refunding your money from the last 3 years, proportional to how many of the sites in your account were affected. For example, if you had paid $300 total for Clicky over the last 3 years and 50% of your sites were affected, your refund would be $150."

So because I have 25+ sites on my account through the PRO PLATINUM service and only 1 was affected, this data loss was only valued at a total of ~$14???

You should really follow through on what you said above and not flipflop around.

I'm moving my business elsewhere if this is how it will be handled and I suggest others to do the same.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 6:28p by davyu***

OK this is beyond scary, looking through my site that was affected and as far as I can tell data from all prior years is gone, 2012, 2013, 2014....etc!!!

The template email did not state that ALL my data was gone. I can understand a couple days maybe but where are the back-ups that have my data from prior years on it?!?!?

I have email support directly for an answer and will post when I receive it.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 6:37p by mindque***

TOTAL HORSE SHIT. You don't bill based on the # of sites, you bill by data usage. You lose 99.9% of my data, all of which is responsible for all ofthe forced upgrades to custom plans, and then you refund by site????? HUh???it's either one or the other. I have never complained about anything, I have never done anything but say how awesome you guys are, I have never said anything about how the fees skyrocket in a disproportionate way when you make me upgrade, but to charge me for a site that isn't even live and then refund by the site when that isn't how you charge. you are just hypocritical. It's the percentage of data not # of sites. the same way you charge me.
It is bull shit I even have to say this.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 6:51p by randa***

they have made it right in my case, I take it all back :)

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 6:54p by randa***

@Randal Great new for you! I hope I might get lucky as well, waiting on reply from support.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 7:38p by mindque***

Im just gonna leave this here... http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 7:44p by frugalf***

Just got the email. It says I will only get a refund for the last 3 years and for only the percentage of sites that were affected. I had 2 sites and the one that got several thousand visitors per day was affected with all data lost. The one that got 10 visits per day was not affected. How is a 50% refund fair at all?

To anyone else that lost their data, how many daily visits to your affected sites did you get? It seems that it was people's main sites with the most traffic were affected and not their smaller sites.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 7:54p by mchll98***

I lost all of my data for my main money site. That had the most visitors. The refund policy is lame.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 8:06p by mustard***

Try emailing Clicky's founder directly: sean [at] getlicky.com

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 8:06p by mustard***

oops I meant: sean [at] getclicky.com

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 8:07p by mustard***

Let's organize your response here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/screwed-by-clicky-web-analytics

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 8:21p by mustard***

@davyusa, to keep things as simple as possible on our end (so that we could get an official response and plan of action out to affected customers as soon as possible), we decided to do refunds as the default and work with people one on one if they wanted something else.

I'm happy to honor the free 2 years of service to anyone who wants it, just reply back to the email you got saying you would like the 2 free years that were offered on the forum instead of the refund.

Some replies here and in email from customers are saying the only site/s in their account they cared about were the ones affected so the percentage of refund seems small. Keep in mind we have no way of knowing which sites in your account are most important to you. If you don't think the automatically calculated refund for your account is fair, respond to the email and let us know why.

Posted Sun Jan 11 2015 9:35p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Sean I appreciate this must be a very difficult time for you, but I really feel you must comment on the question of backups. Presumably given the finality of your response there were none - so now what? Will our data be backed up going forwards?

This is a pretty crucial issue to know as historic data is highly valuable to a lot of us for a whole host of reasons.

Posted Mon Jan 12 2015 2:13a by namda***

When we virtualized everything (finished Summer 2012) we had to temporarily stop doing backups because the storage method on each server changed significantly. There was no longer a spare drive in each server dedicated just for storing backups. That was around the same time where the amount of data we had was just becoming ridiculous. "Temporarily" turned into indefinite and now here we are.

We are now up to a 250 Billion rows of data across all servers. Backing up that much data efficiently and reliably and without interfering with live traffic processing or performance is no walk in the park. That doesn't excuse what's happened but I hope there's at least one person out there who can appreciate the challenges of building a backup solution for that much data.

Our top priority is bringing data backups back to our service as soon as possible.

We are also adding more in depth disk monitoring. Currently we have alerts set up when a drive in a RAID falls offline. We also monitor the real-time-ness of all servers throughout the day which makes it obvious when a server is having issues, but this is a task manually performed. We are working on a script that will check for disk i/o errors in the dmesg log on all servers throughout the day, so we will know immediately if there is potentially any problem with any of the disks/ssds in our data center and be able to replace them much more proactively than we have in the past.

Obviously we regret not taking these steps sooner. We're offering apologies and refunds to all affected customers and hope that most of you accept those and stick with us.

Posted Mon Jan 12 2015 10:51a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

I feel for Sean and team. This is a tough thing to deal with. But it is shocking and unforgivable that there are no backups. For an _analytics_ product that is all about collecting data, I would never dream to ask a professional service whether there are backups. Live and learn.

If building a backup solution for the data is too challenging or too costly, then you shouldn't be in this business.

We used that historical data all the time for building ad campaign proposals. We used it to tune our affiliate strategy. We’re currently in the midst of a redesign and were using it to guide decisions.

The refund is a gesture, but it is nowhere near reasonable compensation for the loss of our data. It's like the bank telling you they lost the money in all your accounts so they are refunding your banking fees from the last 3 years.

I'm not expecting _more_ compensation. Clicky is a small company with limited resources. I just don't want to pretend that the refund somehow makes this right. It doesn't.

Posted Mon Jan 12 2015 11:23a by youlook***

I really cannot agree with youlookfab more - its sad really, I have always felt Clicky to be the best tracking solution out there. However not having access to any data for websites that for many of us are the source of our income makes it hard to have faith in the service. It would be horrible if the cost of refunds and customer flight did more damage to Clicky than the data breach did.

Although most people probably would be offended by this, it wouldnt be unreasonable to let Clicky Users download their own backups - I shouldn't have to backup my data from a paid service, but if its between that and no data - then I'd take it.

Posted Mon Jan 12 2015 11:42a by frugalf***

frugalfap- I couldn't agree more. I'd gladly back up my own data if given that option.

Posted Mon Jan 12 2015 1:22p by chery***

for one of my big sites, the data is still there, but its just recording far less data than normal beginning on jan 9th. i cross referenced google analytics and double checked the code and all is well in and in there.

is this data discrepancy same issue as data loss?

Posted Tue Jan 13 2015 11:22a by intenceme***

I started a new thread here so our official info from Clicky could be at the very top.

https://clicky.com/forums/?id=17769

Posted Tue Jan 13 2015 4:18p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

You must be logged in to your account to post!