Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Any way to know if hits from "BeiJing" are benign or not?

Don't get a whole lot of traffic on my site, but over the last year or so I've noticed more hits from "Bei Jing" . . . didn't think too much about it until the recent news about possibly gov't sponsored hacking . . . . They don't seem to be spending too much time, but repeated visits . . . haven't even checked IP numbers. Could this just be the what "Baidu" bot trolling through, checking numbers and taking names? Or, some possibly less benign activity? Any way to know, anything that might make a difference? Or, hunker down and hope the password is enough to keep them at bay?

e__

Posted Tue Jun 9 2015 9:52a by e_e_p***

protect your site with cloudflare.com

Posted Tue Jun 9 2015 7:25p by gdemersen***

@gdemersenough:

OK, thanks for the reply, did take a look at it . . . the "free" service looks affordable for my web budget. Is it "easy" to get set up, or is it like the analytics type deals where I would have to add some script on each page, and then there would be a logo on the pages where I did that, etc?

There was a hit from "BeiJing" today, so I clicked on it and it did show that it was via "Baidu" . . . and going to the "referrer" it showed a "Baidu" page in which my site was listed for some reason at the top of a page with other sites on "surfing" . . . which, the word is in my site name, but isn't about board surfing. So possibly the translation into Chinese is causing people to click on the link, and then, they realize it's a mistake and they move on . . . quickly . . . w/o buying a book, etc. Perhaps the Cloudflare option might not quite be needed yet?

e__

Posted Wed Jun 10 2015 8:17a by e_e_p***

You must be logged in to your account to post!