Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Google Adwords - Is there a way to tell/track if clicks come from an Adwords Ad

Google Adwords - Is there a way to tell/track if clicks come from Adwords Ads or not. If I check each keyword phrase I can usually tell (because I know I'm not ranking organically for that keyword) but this is time consuming and not 100%. Thanks in advance!

Posted Mon Mar 23 2009 12:37p by ChicagoSEOConsu***

if you have campaign tracking, pass a campaign variable in your destination url in adwords. you can then use campaign tracking in clicky to track with adwords campaign the clicks are coming from...

Posted Mon Mar 23 2009 2:11p by carsa***

That makes total sense, thanks for the tip Carsala! I would give you a 5 star rating if they had voting, maybe one day?

Posted Thu Mar 26 2009 1:17p by ChicagoSEOConsu***

Yup, exactly. Google has integrated their Analytics product with Adwords in the backend so it's all automated but if you use any third party analtyics prodcut like Clicky, you have to include some kind of unique variable/string in your URL that our camapign tracking can see and will then log as a campaign hit instead of organic.

Posted Mon Mar 30 2009 4:51p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Hey, I don't quite understand the instructions for the campaign strings. How do I include the Google Adword 'gclid' in my Get Clicky campaigns? Thanks!

Posted Mon Dec 28 2009 12:45p by garrettwi***

Set it to this:

*gclid=*

Posted Mon Dec 28 2009 1:02p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

so I pretty much go to Campaigns, Make name "Adwords", Match type = landing page, and match string will be???

Posted Sun Jan 10 2010 5:23p by Khale***

Here's an example of how my link looks, how would I add the "gclid="?

hxxp://sitename.com/product-name/?seed=keyword-purple

Posted Sun Jan 10 2010 5:27p by Khale***

If you are using AdWords (Google) then they automatically add a gclid variable onto the end of your landing page. So you'd just enter *gclid=* for the match string.

Posted Sun Jan 10 2010 7:12p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

For the section Match Type I will put the following "gclid=" ?

Posted Sun Jan 10 2010 8:17p by Khale***

No, use asterisks (for wildcards)

*gclid=*

Posted Sun Jan 10 2010 8:56p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

So is Clicky able to pickup the adgroup, ad, and keyword too? I guess the converting keyword would be the most important.

Posted Sun Jan 17 2010 12:38a by ocastil***

lol.

Posted Fri Aug 20 2010 4:56a by opensou***

okay... So i've setup a campaign in my campaigns tab using *gclid=*

What now? Will it show me any historics, or only new requests?

Posted Fri Aug 20 2010 4:57a by opensou***

It only applies to visitors arriving after you have created the campaign.

Posted Fri Aug 20 2010 9:08a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Clicky stats appear to be automatically recognising AdWords ads with the "Referrer Type: Advertising" (and dollar logo) in the stats. Do I still need to set up a Campaign in Clicky for this now, aswell, and what benefit would that have?

Posted Sat Nov 20 2010 2:01a by sparkyma***

Is this still a requirement? Does clicky require *gclid=* to be placed in a static campaign?
It looks that i does extract keywords automatically, but not always. Plus all it can pull out the parameters that Adwords deliver is just keyword, nothing else. Why is that?

Posted Sun Jun 8 2014 5:36p by games***

You must be logged in to your account to post!