Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Track Individual Author Stats

Can you tell me how I would track individual author stats in Wordpress?

I would like to track the total number of pageviews that authors articles generate. I currently do this in Google Analytics with Event Tracking by adding a statement (which I can't post here because this forum doesn't allow code) that checks to see if it's on a "Singluar" page then inserts the the_author wp tag.

How can I do this with Clicky?

Posted Tue Aug 17 2010 1:04p by 610***

We're about to release a feature to do exactly that. It will be announced on our blog.

Posted Tue Aug 17 2010 2:01p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Can you give me a rough time frame so I can plan. Does "about" mean "in a couple hours" or "as soon as we actually get it working which could be years"?

Also, where is the feature going to be implemented? On all clicky accounts or on the WP plugin?

Thanks!

Posted Tue Aug 17 2010 2:50p by 610***

One other question. Will I be able to filter the reports or access to the reports so I can give users access to their stats but not to other authors stats?

Posted Tue Aug 17 2010 2:51p by 610***

Within the next month.

You can't limit what reports certain users have access to. It's all or nothing.

Posted Tue Aug 17 2010 3:06p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Will I be able to output certain reports via xml or something?

Posted Tue Aug 17 2010 3:25p by 610***

You can output every report (except the dashboard) in XML by clicking the "disk" icon in the top right corner.

Posted Tue Aug 17 2010 5:51p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Was this ever implemented?

Posted Sat Mar 5 2011 12:24p by 610***

Not yet!

Posted Sat Mar 5 2011 4:17p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Just to clarify, I should have specified that I was asking about the tracking author stats feature, not the accessing reports feature. Any update on when this can be expected?

Posted Sun Mar 6 2011 5:47a by 610***

I figured you were talking about the original topic. It's on our near term road map so should be within a few months.

Posted Sun Mar 6 2011 12:07p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Is there any way to do it now using dynamic goals? Instead of attaching the goal to an onclick event can I attach it to a pageload and make the ID the Wordpress tag get_the_author(); (which outputs the name of the author of the post)? Then each pageload of an authors article would be a goal and I could see how many page views each authors articles got.

Posted Sun Mar 6 2011 7:17p by 610***

Yes, that would definitely be possible. You'd have to come up with the code yourself though! I'm not familiar with Wordpress (a third party wrote our plugin)

Posted Sun Mar 6 2011 11:37p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

that's fine im very familiar with wordpress but I don't really understand the clicky docs. can you give me the sample code to set a goal that tracks page loads and I'll insert the wp specific code where the id is named?

Posted Mon Mar 7 2011 4:41a by 610***

Assuming "get_the_author();" is the right function, you could use something like the following. It should probably only be done when a post is viewed directly though, otherwise on your homepage where it shows e.g. 10 posts, it wouldn't really be giving anything useful.

<script>
var clicky_custom={};
clicky_custom.goal={ 'Author: <?php echo get_the_author(); ?>' };
</script>

Posted Mon Mar 7 2011 10:35a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Did the track-by-author function ever get implemented?

Posted Sat Dec 10 2011 7:08a by medci***

Not yet

Posted Mon Dec 19 2011 4:34p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Did this feature every get implemented?

Posted Fri May 16 2014 12:48p by Jelly2***

You must be logged in to your account to post!