Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Run a report excluding all visitors from a specific referer domain?

Hi,

Is there a way to run a report showing all users EXCEPT those from a specific referer? My web designer put my site up for a contest and right now if I can't remove the people coming from that site the reports mean absolutely nothing. This has been a problem for most of the past 30 days.

I don't want to clicky to not track these people, but it would be nice to run a report that shows me all users NOT coming from links at that domain.

Thanks,

Alex

Posted Sun Mar 16 2014 7:07a by palmhi***

Are there any ideas out there or something easy I am missing?

I need to exclude a domain linking to my site in the reports.

Posted Fri Mar 28 2014 4:04p by palmhi***

Hi palmhill,

well since nobody else jumped in with an elegant solution, I will share a brute force one. That is, pull up the visitors report, set the time period for the date range you want, then click on the little disk icon on the upper right side of the report to export the report data to your hard disk. You can bring it down in CSV or XML format and import into MS Excel or other spreadsheet.

My favorite way to import Clicky report data is by downloading in XML format and loading it into MS Excel. Do this by either dragging the xml file into an open Excel window or else use File/Open to open the XML file. When you do this, Excel will ask if you want it to create an XML table for you, click yes. If it asks if you want it to generate format info from the XML data file, click yes again. It will then create a beautiful table with all the data from the Clicky report and you can use Excel to do clever things with the data.

For the specific requirement you identified, which is to remove all traffic coming from a certain domain, you can use Excel autofilter capability and unselect the offending domain. This will leave you with all the visitor data EXCEPT for the domain you unchecked.

This approach requires you to pull the data out of Clicky into a 3rd party tool, but it is pretty simple to do.

If you don't have MS Excel then you could pull CSV file format into any spreadsheet (such as the free OpenOffice Calc).

hth

Ed

Posted Sat Mar 29 2014 7:34p by edyod***

Ed,

Thanks for the insight. I'll give it a try. Maybe I can even remember some pivot table skills from years ago?

I am surprised that there isn't a more elegant solution. Basic computer science is all Boolean NOT, OR, NOR, AND, XOR and NAND commands. It's a pity clicky doesn't have more of them built in.

Thanks again,

Alex

Posted Sun Mar 30 2014 7:47a by palmhi***

You must be logged in to your account to post!