Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Google tag manager settings

I am trying to set up a tag for Clicky in Google Tag Manager, but the tracking code is not being detected on my site.

I am using asynchronous code and have it inserted as a custom HTML tag, with the firing rule set to all pages.

The tag manager code is in the head of a wordpress site running a genesis child theme.

Posted Thu Mar 27 2014 5:55a by damienels***

We use Tag Manager with Genesis and Clicky and it works fine.

When you say placed in the Head it should be immediately after the opening body tag? I used the Genesis Simple Hooks to install it.

Have you also actually published the Tag Manager Container?

Posted Thu Mar 27 2014 6:17a by servertas***

Thanks for the reply. It's weird because even though it says it's not being tracked when I try to verify the site, I'm still getting full stats on visitors.

Yes I have published the tag manager container and experimented with putting it in the header and the footer. My other tags seem to be working okay. I'll have a play around with the simple hooks plugin. I also saw there's a Google Tag Manager plugin, which might be worth trying.

I'll reply here with any updates. Thanks again!

Posted Thu Mar 27 2014 3:10p by damienels***

yeah, servertastic's right. GTM snippet belongs immediately AFTER your opening body tag; won't work in the header. Clicky works perfectly in Asynch form as a Custom HTML Tag fired on all pages. (excluding any which you're using as the page for a dynamic goal) because you know, the goal snippet HAS to fire before the Clicky tracking code so you have to use a Block rule that triggers on the goals page URL/path/your pick. So you have to make a second identical Clicky traker code that ONLY fires on a rule that's like:
{{url}} contains /goalpage.aspx
AND
{{event}} equals gtm.load

and have the dynamic goal tag fire on just {{url}} contains /goalpage.aspx
which ensures the goal comes first, Asynch or not. Sorry, i think i went past the scope of this question.

Posted Thu Mar 27 2014 9:16p by Inventory***

A GTM Plugin? You mean browser add-on? Even if you don't you MUST have WASP if you're playing with GTM. The other handful of add-ons are okay, but WASP, you'll never find a better GTM tool. Period. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wasp-web-analytics-soluti/niaoghengfohplclhbjnjheodgkejpih/details

Posted Thu Mar 27 2014 9:24p by Inventory***

Nah I meant a WordPress plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-google-tag-manager/

Makes life a bit easier rather than fiddling around with body and head etc.

Posted Thu Mar 27 2014 10:43p by damienels***

You must be logged in to your account to post!