Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

non-tracked visitor

I was assuming that Clicky would pretty much be able to track all visitors. But tonight I was reviewing the page activity of people I made sales off of.

One buyer I could not find any tracking information for. He had to be on my site to place an order, but I could not find his IP, his town or even his host, (all that info is captured with his order). No trace of him.

This is really no big deal, but I am curious to know what sort of tactics people could use to evade detection by clicky when at the same time I get their info within my ordering system?

Posted Fri May 9 2014 11:51p by elchi***

for your consideration, here is some stuff I have done, and maybe these tactics would defeat your tracking scheme:

1. is it possible that a returning visitor bookmarked some page that is not tracked by clicky, and then used the bookmark to come back and make the purchase? For example a shopping cart / checkout page?

2. is it possible that a visitor put something in the shopping cart, then went away from the computer and left the checkout page open in the browser until next day (or even several days) when s/he came back to the computer and completed the purchase?

3. sometimes I pull up a website on my phone while I am on my home wifi network, then I leave the house and I'm on my cell provider's network with a new IP and geolocation when I come back to the browser.

Pretty esoteric, but those are some ideas to chew on.

cheers

Ed

Posted Sat May 10 2014 8:54a by edyod***

Well number one is ruled out because all of my pages have the clicky code in the footer.

I can't see the logic of number two because if they walked away with the browser open they still would have had the same IP, or the same cookie that Clicky puts in their machine.

Number 3, I think would still be identified by the cookie. Though I have to admit that I would have no information on their operating system, screen size etc, from the info with their order. All I have from their order is their IP address.

Is their a possibility that a visitor can evade the cookie from Clicky and still accept the cookie from the website that enables them to use the shopping cart?

Posted Sat May 10 2014 3:25p by elchi***

I'm guessing this has something to do with JavaScript.

I don't understand the technicalities behind it, but I have noticed that Clicky does not track certain tablets or mobiles and their browsers well (if at all). Kindle/Amazon Silk as one example.

Posted Sun May 11 2014 4:22a by ajm19***

Couple things to keep in mind:

- Analytics tools, like Clicky, are never 100% accurate by themselves. They are in the neighborhood of 98% I would say but you may still miss someone, especially if Javascript is turned off.
- If the user has Javascript turned off your tracking is drastically limited as most of the information is recorded via the image that Clicky setup for this purpose and things like Dynamic goals and other JS based tasks will not execute.

Posted Mon May 12 2014 5:29a by ringo***

After reading your post I installed the Pale Moon browser on my system and turned javascript off. Then I visited my site to see what the experience would be.

Except for the way my videoplayer is skinned, it is the exact same experience.

What's more Clicky recorded my visit and notated that javascript was off.

Was there something else tipping off Clicky about my presence?

Posted Mon May 12 2014 1:27p by elchi***

Okay, another clue about how this sort of thing might happen. Today, I recorded a sale and the IP address was from Singapore.

When I correlated the sale to the customer, (by time), it turned out the customer was really in Georgia, USA.

The IP address the shopping cart got was completely different than the IP that Clicky caught.

How is it that the cart can get the correct IP and Clicky can't?

Posted Tue May 13 2014 11:23a by elchi***

For your first post, Clicky's image will gather information when Javascript is off: https://clicky.com/help/faq/tips/different/noscript . It is just limited and cannot execute any dynamic goals, custom tracking, etc... that is done by placing Javascript on your website.

-----

It sounds like you're not using a goal, correct? You're just looking in your visitor log at the timestamp?

If you're doing it this way, let's try and solve something simple first to make sure what you're looking at is compatible. Is the timezone in your Clicky account and in your ecommerce software the exact same (including DST)?

Posted Wed May 14 2014 5:20a by ringo***

I can't track any visitors that use Google Chrome. Other people with the same problem?

Posted Thu May 15 2014 1:08a by elija***

It could also be that the customer has Clicky's website blocked in the browser or at the firewall.

For example, he could be using DoNotTrackMe:
https://www.facebook.com/AbineInc/posts/544049915653280

Posted Tue May 20 2014 3:26p by bigblue***

You must be logged in to your account to post!