Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Some Heatmaps won't load (member pages)

Our website has a members-only section, and sometimes the heatmaps won't show for those sections. Any fix for this?

Posted Fri Jun 20 2014 11:12a by saaga***

Could the gaps in member page heat maps be explained by heat maps only being generated for 50% of your visitors?

I don't know if the heat map sampling is done based on random sampling of visitors or page views. The heatmap blog article suggests 50% of visitors but the plan selection page is ambiguous about the basis of sampling. So I am not sure if clicky will select a visitor and generate heat map data for all pages accessed during that visitor's session, or if clicky samples based on all page views resulting in approximately 50% of all visitors being sampled. That's a technical question for the clicky developers.

Also consider that when you pull up a heat map, it overlays the graphical hot spots over a live rendered page. So the person viewing the heat map must have access to the actual member page in order for it to be rendered in the browser. If you are logged in to a sysadmin account with access to all member pages when viewing heat map data then this might not be an issue.

I don't have direct experience using clicky with membership sites, so take this with a grain of salt. I suspect that if you click on a heat map icon for a member page while not logged in, then you might see the heat map overlaid on top of the login page (or wherever your system redirects when someone tries to hit a page they don't have access to view) which could look pretty strange.

You may need to experiment a little more to figure out what is going on. Hopefully the notes above provide some useful clues.

Posted Sun Jun 22 2014 11:11a by edyod***

You must be logged in to your account to post!