Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

1 conversion goal per IP address possible?

Right now the conversion goal is triggering every time someone accesses my thankyou page even if it's the same customer multiple times. Can I restrict the goals to only activate once per IP address? I want to make sure if the same customer accesses the thank you page multiple times, it doesn't keep counting as a new conversion goal every time.

Thanks

-Drew

Posted Thu Jul 10 2014 1:44p by dman7***

Anybody know the answer to this?

Posted Sun Jul 13 2014 12:56p by dman7***

Some good news... Clicky by default will only count 1 goal for the same IP within a session. But if someone with the same IP visits the thank you page in a subsequent session then that will count as a second goal.

This is probably implemented this way because dynamic IP addresses are reused all the time and it is normal for different people to come in using the same IP address. Or even the same person to return with a different IP address. That can happen especially on mobile phones. I was doing an experiment a little while ago to test a solution to another forum post, and my same cell phone showed up with three different IP addresses over a half hour period.

So you are protected from counting multiple goals if a person keeps on hitting the thank you page within a single session. But if the same (or different) person comes back in a subsequent session with that IP, it will count as a new goal attained.

For that matter, if the same person were to return to your thank you page later, but got a different IP address, it will still count as another goal attained.

So it would seem that IP Address is not a reliable way to identify a returning visitor.

I don't sell a product, but this must be a common issue for people who do. I gotta believe there is a best practice around tracking goals and thank you pages but I don't have the experience to tell you what that is. It is probably not unique to clicky but common to all tracking tools. I bet google knows if you ask the right question.

So to not leave you empty handed, here is an idea... Given you can't rely on the IP to identify a returning user, maybe there is a cookie-based solution you could come up with. It would be easy to imagine some conditional code that would check for the cookie before logging the click to clicky. For new users who don't already have the cookie, log the click and set the cookie. Just thinking out loud, could be something to try out on your own. Or if your web site creates a new user for people to access the goodies they just purchased, then maybe track the goal on the new user account confirmation page versus the thank you page. Just tossing out random ideas in case one resonates with you.

Anyways, that's what I know about Clicky goals for returning IP addresses.

hth

Posted Wed Jul 16 2014 4:26p by edyod***

You must be logged in to your account to post!