Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Code NOT installed properly in some pages

I have installed the static code on most of my active pages but with the same code, when I'm Verifying the tracking code- for some url's it says installed correctly but with other it says NOT installed correctly? It is the same code on all pages!

Why is this happening and how can I correct it?

I'm using google analytics also on each page. My site traffic volume is showing much lesser than GA reported volume.

I tried using the asynchronous code, but its the same situation with those pages.

Posted Fri Jul 11 2014 4:54p by vib23***

I have same truble...

Posted Fri Jul 11 2014 7:46p by help4***

The Clicky tracking code verifier provides you a yes or no answer but it doesn't show you what it's looking at or even reflect back to you the URL you just typed. Once you enter your URL into the box, it is gone. Even if you press back you won't see what you just typed in.

So while it feels good when the answer is YES, it doesn't leave you any breadcrumbs when the answer is NO. But it does verify for you using an official clicky tool that your code isn't working, and that can save a lot of head scratching.

(Note to Friendly Clicky Admin ... please consider providing some feedback on the clicky verifier result page to always echo the URL that was typed in, and perhaps a scrollable text box to display the source code that was served for the page being tested).

So, now that you got the official 'not installed correctly' message ... here is what I would do to go figure out why:

1. make sure you are typing in the URL you think you are typing in. Do this by typing it somewhere then copy/paste into the verifier. I would go as far as typing the URL into your web browser then when the page comes up (you know the URL is perfect), copy that URL from the browser address box and paste it into the clicky verifier. This way there is no doubt that you are entering the correct URL without a typo. And if the verifier says NO you can look back at the URL and know for sure what was entered into the verifier.

if it was a typo in the URL, then woot! you are done. But that was too easy an answer and probably won't be the case, especially if you are checking several pages you won't make that many typos.

2. Do the following while you are logged in to clicky in another tab. When you visit a page, you will (unless you disabled it in prefs) see a little box on the lower right corner of the page showing clicky analytics.

Make sure you see the little box on a page where you know the code is installed correctly. Then you can count on it as a tool to help you on other pages.

Now try it and see if the little box shows up on pages the verifier says are not installed correctly (chances are it won't show up since clicky will be consistent in what it tells you).

I would actually start this step on your home page and then browse the web site by clicking links and watch for the little box to show up on each page you visit. This is an easy way to quickly audit your entire web site, and much easier than fat fingering a lot of URLs into the verifier.

You should see the little analytics box show up in the bottom right corner for all of the pages you believe you put the tracking code on, and you won't see it if the tracking code is not being served properly on the page.

I actually like this better than using the verifier because it provides feedback directly on the page, no chance you typed a bogus URL, and if it doesn't show up you can dig into why by examining the source code for the page.

3. Now look at the source code for the page using view-source.

Each browser has a way to show you the source code in a new tab. So pull it up and look for your clicky code.

Start with a page that is working so you see exactly how it looks and where it shows up (which should be at the bottom just before the [/body] tag, then go check other pages to look for that same code.

If you find something that looks like the clicky code, compare with the good page to make sure it shows exactly the same code you know works on the other page.

You might find the code is completely missing but there are other clues in the source code to lead you to why. Or the clicky code might be there but on that page it was somehow inserted into a comment so it's not executed. Or perhaps you made an error when pasting the code into some pages that causes it to not work. There are several possibilities that might provide you some clues to figure this out.

One thing I like to do with clicky code is enter it one time into a single file and use an include-type directive to automatically pull that file into every page I want to track. This way I only have to maintain one copy of the clicky code and there is no way I can mess up copy/pasting it into a bunch of different locations.

(The exact syntax to do this varies depending on if your page is coded in PHP, html, SSI-calls, etc. If you want to read about how to do it, check out this article.. http://webdesign.about.com/od/ssi/a/aa052002a.htm)

Wish there was an easier answer, but you may just have to go dig it out. Hope this step by step approach shows you enough info to figure out whatever is causing your clicky code to not work on some pages.

Posted Sat Jul 12 2014 8:35a by edyod***

Thank you edyodis for your detailed reply!

I rechecked- (1) was not the case :)

Tried (2)- I was able to see clicky image/logo at bottom left in ALL pages- including pages that show code NOT installed properly. Funny thing is those pages are being tracked- but my overall volume is showing way lower than what it is.

Confirmed (3)- all pages have exact same code. I tried with another code which was working on another website- but that also doesn't work in certain (most) of my main site.

I'm lost what could the reason be. I was thinking of extending my trial period into paid subscription of clicky. But now I doubt I'm gonna do that. Too bad coz I've started liking the features and interface.

Posted Mon Jul 14 2014 12:35a by vib23***

Hello vib2323,

I looked at your two sites. The code is properly installed and Clicky tracked my session and other visitors' sessions. You mentioned your volume is low. Clicky operates differently from other trackers in many ways which can explain differences in volume. https://clicky.com/help/faq/tips/different

Posted Tue Jul 15 2014 2:04p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

You must be logged in to your account to post!