Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

RE: Conversion on a Keyword Level from Adwords

Hi,

I have set up my goals so it will list items added to basket, and also successful purchases, is there a way I can see which keyword created the visit that converted?

Or even the landing URL for the conversion would be helpful if the above isn't possible.

Also a strange thing happened today, I set up the previous goals as mentioned, at tea time on one account I had 11 or so abandoned baskets and one sale, I upgraded to pro and now its reading that I had 3 abandoned baskets, any idea where the rest of the info might have gone missing to? the goals seem a bit glitchy.

Thanks in advance for your help

Posted Fri Nov 7 2014 5:30p by imarket***

hey imarketing,

sounds like you have done all the hard work already to set very detailed goals. There are a few ways to review and drill down into the data behind scoring the goal.

First by browsing... from the site dashboard you can click on Goals then click on a Goal to drill down into that goal. This will show you a formatted web page with some of the info you want displayed for that specific goal. This page will show you the referring domains (first visit versus this visit), searches, and custom data if you have any. There is a link at the top of this report labeled: "Visitors who completed the goal" which will bring up a list of visitors who completed the goal. This will be interesting but does not include the landing page, plus you would have to browse every goal. So if you have a particular goal you are reviewing, this might be an interesting way to see some formatted data and stats about that goal, who met it, where they came from, what keywords brought them there.

Second (my favorite for serious analysis) is to download visitor data into a spreadsheet such as Excel or OpenOffice/LibreOffice Calc. This will download a csv file with gobs of data about each visitor including all the data you are asking about among the 28 data fields about each visitor. There are two ways to pull this info:

1. if you want all the visitor data about one goal, then browse down to "visitors who completed this goal" as described above, then click on the floppy disk icon at top right corner of the report. This will download a csv file that contains all the visitor data limited to visitors who completed the selected goal.

2. if you want all the visitor data about all goals, then from the site dashboard click the Visitors link and then click on the floppy disk icon at top right corner of that report. This will download a csv file that contains all the visitor data covering all goals (and even visitors who didn't complete any goals).

Once you get Clicky data into a spreadsheet, the analysis is only limited by your imagination and spreadsheet skills.

Here's how I look at Clicky... it is a very powerful tool to collect data about visitors to my websites. The Clicky developers have developed lots of useful reports for the most requested views of Clicky data. If you want to crunch your data in ways that are different from the reports Clicky provides, the developers have also graciously offered the download links which give you raw data that you can slice and dice in any way you like. There are five different formats you can use to grab the data: PDF, CSV, JSON, XML, and PHP. The PDF is basically a snapshot of the web page that you can keep around. The CSV of course provides the means to get the data directly into excel/calc for further analysis. JSON, XML, and PHP are most useful for programmers. One little known way to use the XML data is to save the XML file and then open it with MS Excel. It's the same data as the CSV file, but excel will use the XML metadata to build a nice table with autofilter pulldowns.

Note that keyword data is getting tougher to get. Used to be the search engines would always pass the keyword data. Then Google began hiding the keyword data for searches when google users were logged in and using HTTPS. More recently Yahoo/Bing also started hiding keywords on searches. So keyword data is golden when you can get it in Clicky, but it's getting harder to get as the search engines hide more of it. I'm not sure if adwords clicks will show you the keyword data regardless of other factors, you will know better than I do about that. Just saying heads up in case you think some keyword data is not being passed, you are correct.

Also Note that the data which gets downloaded is based upon the same date range you have set on your dashboard for the reports. Want today, yesterday, last 7 days, custom date range? Set the date range and your reports and download files will be bound by that selection.

This a great segue to your question about data changing out from under you when you upgraded to a Pro account. I don't know any reason why the upgrade would change your site data; HOWEVER... is it possible that when you brought up the reports after the upgrade you were looking at a different date range? For example the default is Today. If you upgrade and come back tomorrow to look at the data you will see new data, and the stuff you looked at yesterday would not be included. Also, this is pretty obscure but depending on where in the world you are could you have clicked over midnight clicky server time and then inadvertently be looking at the next day's data? Something to consider as you try to sort out what changed. I would look for that or some similar explanation first, then if you don't find an answer submit a support ticket directly to Clicky support to ensure you get an answer from the Clicky developers (versus other users like ourselves on this forum).

cheers

Ed

Posted Sat Nov 8 2014 9:21a by edyod***

You must be logged in to your account to post!