Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

external script tracking

I am using an external site called pricewaiter on my site. I have placed their script on my product page. The script displays a button (the button is on their server, not mine) and when clicked displays a pop-up page that allows customers to "bargain" the price of the item.
I want to track this click. As a secondary goal I would like to know which items are being looked at.
Clicky is not recording these clicks, even an outgoing link. I am guessing that is because these clicks are actually on the other site's server, not mine. Is there any way to track the script call? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Ruth

Posted Tue Jun 9 2015 7:04a by medal***

Hi Ruth

You are correct about why the pricewaiter clicks are not recorded as an outbound link -- i.e. the little box that pops up is not coming from your site.

Clicky does have support for tracking outbound links that go to an external site. Whether you can use this feature depends on how you integrate the pricewaiter button script into your web site.

If you can see the button as a clickable href link in the code you insert into your site, then you should be able to add the clicky code to track the pricewaiter clicks as if they were outbound links pretty easily.

You can learn more about how to do this here: clicky.com/help/custom then scroll all the way to the bottom of that page. Now back up a scooch and look for the header "Manually tagging a link as a download, outbound link or click". Under that heading are a few examples, the one you need is the onclick example:

[a class="clicky_log" href="#ajax" onclick="MyAjaxFunction();">Click me!![/a]

Note: We can't past HTML into the forum, so I hope you can mentally see the HTML angle brackets in place of square brackets in the example above. So, if you have something that looks like this in your pricewaiter script code, you may be able to simply add the class="clicky_log" in the right place and you are done.

As for knowing which product they were looking at..

.. if the product page is a unique URL content page on your web site, and if can you do the setup to consider the pricewaiter button click as an outbound link, then you can use the Clicky Links report to see all the content pages on your site from which people clicked on the "outbound link" that brought up the pricewaiter button.

That's the easy answer but only works if you can add your clicky code to the [a href] HTML code.

Beyond that it still may be possible to do what you need, but you would be copying and hacking the pricewaiter script code. That's beyond the scope of this answer.

I hope you find the easy answer is possible.

If not, then you might go ask pricewaiter if it is possible for you to add clicky tracking to their button clicks javascript. You might be surprised and find they have already thought of it or they might be willing to help you figure out how. Before you contact PW do have a look at the clicky custom tracking info so you have an idea of what your options are for the clicky side of this. If they are willing to cooperate, then this one simple solution would be the same piece of code for any clicky user of their product. Who knows, they might be agreeable... big return for a very small investment and they could claim to be clicky trackable.

good luck

Posted Tue Jun 9 2015 2:37p by edyod***

Hi,
Thanks for your help. You confirmed what I suspected all along. The button is implemented by a script src=https://widget.pricewaiter.com/script/my code (made less html) and is placed on the page with an empty span tag with the id of pricewaiter. There is just nothing to call, it is all in the widget on there site.
I wrote to pricewaiter and asked if there is anything that they can do. I also passed along your suggestion. It seems to me that it is a win-win situation for them but I don't know how they will respond. I will let you know what they say.
Again, thank you for your excellent help! Ruth

Posted Wed Jun 10 2015 7:25a by medal***

You must be logged in to your account to post!