Forums » Developers

API Parsing Error

I sometimes get this error when I try to call the searches api.

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://api.getclicky.com/api/stats/4?site_id=xx&sitekey=xxx&type=searches&date=2011-10-17&limit=all
Line Number 918, Column 23:

I can't seem to find a reason why. I put in the day before or after and it works. I'm get the error for about 25 dates. I could hard code it but then I don't know if it happens again.

It will come up with a list of search phrases and count but then it seems to not display all of them.

Posted Thu Jan 5 2012 10:03a by domaind***

Probably a invalid character, which tend to happen with searhces most often. We try out damndest to strip all of those out before displaying them either on the site or in the API but some still manage to slip through. If you look at line 918 character 23, it's probably a character your computer can't display properly.

Posted Mon Jan 9 2012 2:52p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Oh I see it. Thanks.

Is there anything we can do on our side like add the character?

Posted Mon Jan 16 2012 7:24a by domaind***

I just came across the same issue and I solved it by opening the original download from API and finding where the invalid character is. Then wrap the whole string using CDATA between the XML tags. I was using SimpleXML (in PHP) and that fixed the problem.

Posted Tue Apr 17 2012 8:59a by frank_insti***

Also, this is for the getclicky devs, would it be possible to have CDATA tags by default where appropriate, or does that create other problems?

Posted Tue Apr 17 2012 9a by frank_insti***

You must be logged in to your account to post!