Tracking an event that takes place on another siteOur use case requires logging an event that occurs on a different domain than the website being tracked. Think of it as a conversion that takes place on an external site.
Here's my first pass at how to do this, based loosely on this forum comment: http://clicky.com/forums/?id=6592#6600
- Using a beacon (or similar), set a matching cookie for the external site's domain, with the same value
- When the conversion takes place on the external site:
- query the API for the "pseudo_session_id" and use that to retrieve the session_id
- use the clicky_log() function to log the event, using the session_id retrieved
So, my questions:
- Am I missing a simpler way to achieve this?
- We can't use the user's IP address as the identifier in clicky_log(), because we know that the users of the site being tracked will often share IPs (different employees in the same company).
Posted Tue Jul 29 2014 10:32am by mikeacreman