Forums » Help & Troubleshooting

Hash-based utm campaign tags is not registered correctly

For a long time we've used hash-based dynamic campaign tags, eg. /path/to/page#utm_source=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

But a few days ago, the visitors is no longer marked under campaign, but as direct traffic.

Has there been any change to the clicky tracking script?

If I open the developer console in the browser, and use one of these links, the utm params is added to the the path, when the tracking script calls in.clicky.com (eg. /path/to/page?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=newsletter)

Posted Tue Oct 20 2015 11:39p by bbclic***

Okay, seems like they are actually added as campaign, but on the dashboard, they are not counted towards campaigns under traffic sources, but if I click the campaigns tab, they are all listed.

It must be some newly introduced bug to the dashboard.

Posted Tue Oct 20 2015 11:41p by bbclic***

Thanks, I'll look into this today. There were some major changes to traffic processing recently with our "filters" update (see our blog), this bug must have popped up in there.

Posted Thu Oct 22 2015 10:26a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Ok did some testing, still works on my end. I see in your example UTM params, you have "utm_source=email". Is that the string you're actually using? We did make a few tweaks so that we do change the referrer type to "email" if utm_source=email, and if it equals "facebook" or "twitter" then we set it to "social media", and otherwise, we set it to advertising. These tweaks were done by request from another customer a while back, since I was messing with that code I decided to go ahead and make those changes as well. Since we can only apply one category to each visitor, this does remove these particular ones from "advertising".

Posted Thu Oct 22 2015 10:47a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

No, that was just an example - but, I think the change you made was wrong. It should NOT be based on source, but on medium, eg. "utm_medium=email", or "utm_medium=facebook"...

The traffic ends in "direct" (but I can also find it under "campaign"). I like that it is added to "email" or "social.." based on UTM param, but the correct value to look at would be utm_medium and not utm_source !

Posted Mon Oct 26 2015 3:01a by bbclic***

We do it for both utm_medium and utm_source, I just left that out since I didn't think it was relevant based on your example. Some people use these interchangeably so that's why we check both.

Posted Mon Oct 26 2015 4:39p by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Then there is clearly something broken in your code :)

Our traffic is registered correctly under "Campaign", with medium=email, but on the dashboard under traffic sources it is counted towards "Direct".
We also have traffic with source=facebook, but it seems to be counted towards "Links".

Posted Tue Oct 27 2015 2:53p by bbclic***

I, too, am seeing issues as it relates to campaigns, advertising traffic and advertising traffic being counted toward another category.

The Advertising traffic total for October for my site is 103,000 and change. The Campaigns traffic total for October is 126,000+. Wouldn't Campaign traffic be included in Advertising traffic? Instead, thousands of Campaign traffic is being counted as Links.

I sent in a question with more detail to [email protected]

Posted Thu Nov 5 2015 11:09a by milesme***

With PropellerAds, I've experienced significant growth in my website traffic by leveraging their https://propellerads.com/features/traffic-quality/ buy hight quality web traffic services. Through precise targeting and advanced optimization tools, I've been able to reach my ideal audience effectively. PropellerAds' platform provides access to a diverse network of publishers, ensuring that my ads are displayed to relevant users across various platforms and devices. By investing in high-quality web traffic through PropellerAds, I've not only increased my website's visibility but also generated valuable leads and conversions. It's a game-changer for anyone looking to drive targeted traffic and maximize their online presence.

Posted Fri Apr 12 2024 6:59a by ***

You must be logged in to your account to post!