Forums » Suggestions & Feature requests

Graph the online visitors

Hi,
I use another analytics tool that basically only concerns about the total online users at a given moment (won't mention its name here in case it's not allowed).

So my suggestion is to have another graph, just like the Visitors/Actions, but for online users.

I can understand if that is not on your radar, so I might implement a local version using the API. Just to be clear, the API with throttling permits that I run only one request per site_id per IP, so I can do one query for all my websites simultaneously, wait 5 minutes, and query all again, correct?

Thanks!

Posted Wed Apr 19 2023 9:29a by hexb***

Do you mean "visitors online" vs. time? https://paste.pics/f406cebc079b79d0a39ce809818c7747

Posted Wed Apr 19 2023 7:39p by gladiu***

Hi,
It's not the same. A online visitor means that the visitor is with the browser viewing the page. More online visitors means that your content is more engaging and the users are spending more time reading/interacting with it.

Posted Thu Apr 20 2023 2:54a by hexb***

I think I understand. You mean that you would like to see a graph that shows the visitors online at that exact moment, not the aggregate of “online“ visitors in the 30 minute window. Ya?

My thinking might be a bit convoluted by a consult I did once. They wanted to track time spent on each page per user. It was a nightmare because 30% of the users had ad blockers, and they wanted to set up proxies. In the end they gave up. It’s really hard to do.

Posted Thu Apr 20 2023 12:17p by gladiu***

Yes! If the user keeps the tab open, and interacting with it, the scripts keeps "pinging" the server. The aggregate of all users online (i.e. everyone with the site open and interacting with it) is what I'd like to have graphed.

Posted Thu Apr 20 2023 1:10p by hexb***

Good topic for sure. Consider that every “X vs. time” chart has a resolution on the time axis. The difference between, say, 5 minutes and 30 minutes probably isn’t that much. The curves would adhere to the same form and percentage increase, which is what you are really after.

Maybe you could infer it from the “time-spent” call? https://clicky.com/help/api

Posted Thu Apr 20 2023 2:30p by gladiu***

Thank you! Will look!

Posted Fri Apr 21 2023 3:59a by hexb***

We used to have a graph like this in Spy, like 10 years ago. But it was just too crowded with all the other things we cram into that page, so we removed it.

Our API has a "type=visitors-online" option, so you could query that every minute or something to build your own graph somewhere.

We don't actually keep track of visitors online over time, we just calculate it on demand.

Posted Fri Apr 21 2023 9:18a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Thanks, Admin! I will build my own using the API.

Posted Fri Apr 21 2023 11:05a by hexb***

You must be logged in to your account to post!