Storing raw URLs takes up a lot of space, so they are normalized and reduced as documented below.
Note that these rules apply to both URLs for your site, as well as referrer URLs.
1) Query parameters whose name or value is longer than 64 characters are completely removed, excluding known search parameters.
2) Query parameters matching common click identifiers (e.g., "gclid"), and session variables (e.g., "PHPSESSID"), are completely removed.
3) Query strings
longer than 250 characters are cut off.
longer than 128 characters are cut off.
5) If domains or paths match certain patterns on our end, e.g. for advertising or affiliate links, we automatically strip off all
query parameters, and in some cases the path as well. The reason for this is because in almost
all cases, the query data reprents an internal click identifier that is typically extremely long and not of any use to anyone outside of the advertising or affiliate company themselves.
6) We don't currently support internal searches by default
, so those are stripped off unless you set them up
. For your web site's pages, if the path contains the string "search", the entire query string is dropped. If your search parameter is "search", that parameter is ignored.
7) We don't log #anchortags unless that is the only
thing being logged, e.g. "#menu". This style is typically used to log events, via clicky.log()